Water - 10 Amazing Facts about Water

There are many interesting facts about water that many people do not know. Here are just ten amazing facts that you may not have heard about before.

  1. How much water is there on earth and is it all drinkable?
    Around 70% of the world’s surface is covered. There is 326 million cubic miles on earth but only three tenths of a percent of it can be used by humans. 97.5% Earth is salt, which leaves only 2.5% as fresh. Nearly 70% is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland. The rest is soil moisture, or lies in deep underground aquifers as groundwater not accessible to human use. 1% of the world’s fresh water, 0.007% of all water on earth, is accessible to humans.

    Pacific Ocean

    Pacific Ocean

    This is found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped at an affordable cost. This is because only this amount of water is regularly renewed by rain and snowfall and is therefore available on a sustainable basis.

  2. Does the earth ever lose or gain water?
    The earth does not lose or gain; nature recycles it and re-uses it. This means that the waters we use today were present millions of years ago.
  3. The Water Cycle
    Water Cycle

    The Water Cycle

    Trillions of tons per day are evaporated by the sun. This is part of the water cycle. This is also known as the hydrologic cycle. It is the journey takes as it circulates from the land to the sky and back again. The Sun evaporates water from the Earth’s surface. Plants also lose fluids to the air via a process called transpiration. Vapour condenses and forms tiny droplets in clouds. When the clouds meet cool air over land, precipitation is triggered, and returns to the land or sea as rain. Some of the precipitation soaks into the ground which then gets trapped between rock or clay layers; this is called groundwater. But most of this flows downhill as runoff and eventually returns to the seas as slightly salty.

  4. Water in food
    Almost all food and drink can provide fluids to our bodies from lettuce to chocolate. So your recommended daily allowance of water does not all have to be consumed as liquid. Some things that you consume such as caffeinated drinks act as a diuretic and prevent you from reaching certain parts of the body where it is needed. So try not to have too many lattes.
  1. How much of the human body is water? 
    Human Water

    How water does the Human hold?

    Around 70% of the human. Human brains are 75%, bones are 25% and blood is 83%. Women have around 5% less in their bodies than men.

  2. Babies and water
    The body weight of a newborn is 80% water. This amount drops to 65% when they get to one year old. A baby that has not yet been weaned does not need to drink pure water because the milk that he/she drinks contains everything that his/her body needs. Giving a baby more than two to four ounces of water between feeds can be harmful because they will lose too many important nutrients. All waters given to young children should be sterilised.
  3. Losing weight
    When we exercise we lose weight from water not fat. Drinking cold water can help you to boost your metabolism. Drinking regularly also helps to keep you feeling full so you don’t feel the need to snack. You should drink plenty of fluids before and after you exercise (even if your version of exercise means running for the bus).
  4. Which is the largest ocean in the world?
    The largest ocean is the Pacific Ocean. It measures 166 million square km. Within it is a trench called the Mariana trench which is the deepest point in all the world’s seas. It was discovered in 1951 and it is almost 11,000 metres below sea level. The sea would cover Mount Everest by one metre if it were to be placed there.
  5. What makes the sea different?
    Pure water freezes at 0°C, but the sea freezes at -2°C because the freezing point decreases as the amount of salt it contains increases. Every kilogram of sea contains around 35 grams of dissolved salt. This is one of the reasons that sea water is unsuitable for use as drinking.
  6. What do we use water for?
    70% of the world’s water usage is used in agriculture in order to help crops to grow. This is compared to the 20% which is used for industry and the 10% which is used domestically.

    Water Distribution

    Water Distribution


Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

RSS Image

If you Like our Blog then we would appreciate a +1.

Welcome to My Blog. I Hope you enjoy My Plumbing site as Much as i will enjoy yours.

Want to advertise here then please feel free to make an enquiry.

Plumbing Resources