If your water tank known as a cylinder not heating up due to the immersion heater faulty. Then here are some simple ways to test this and hopefully fix the problem of your hot water not heating up.
- Unscrew nut and take of lid.
- How to test an immersion heater? Where the red wire goes in to the element you will need to put a electrical screw driver tester on the screw to test for power, If the light goes on then the fault is with the immersion heater, but if not then go to question 10.
- What should i do before taking out the immersion heater? Make sure the electric is off then disconnect the electrics.
- How do i disconnect the immersion heater? With a special immersion heater key unscrew the immersion clockwise, sometime you may need to use a hammer and knock it as this can sometimes be very stiff but is always better to do this when the cylinder is full of water.
- Once the Immersion heater is loose then make sure the water is fully drained down.
- When putting a new immersion heater in make sure that there is plenty of PTFE around the thread but before you do this you should always have the fibre washer in place.
- How many time should i put PTFE around the threat of a immersion heater? Depending on the thickness of the PTFE then the rough estimate would be about 18 to 20 times.
- Make sure the new immersion is heater is very tight and maybe give it a couple of gentle knocks with the hammer to make sure the immersion is fully tight.
- Re-connect the wiring then switch the electrical immersion back on.
- If before you tested the element and there is no light to the electrical screw driver it is normally good practice to make sure your screw driver is working correct.
- If your screw driver is OK then it may be the fuse or wiring, At this stage if you don’t know what to do it is then a good day to call an Electrician out rather than a Plumber.
Hope this has been some good information so please be free to comment on this.